For this week’s art experience, we made a plaster casting. To do this, a majority of the class went to Seal Beach during the time we would normally have class. Unfortunately, I had classes right before and after and was unable to attend. Nevertheless, I was still able to experience the process of making a plaster casting.
Since I was unable to make it to the beach at all, I went to the hardware store to buy the supplies needed. I made the casting with another class mate; I brought half of the supplies while she brought the other half. The actual process of making the plaster casting was straight forward. The hardest part was probably having to dragging the 50-pound bag of sand from the car to the location.
I molded my hand and it came out better than expected, and the mold did not collapse when I poured in the plaster mix. After waiting for about half an hour, I proceeded to dig out my hand. Once I got down to the fingers, I thought I was fine to pull them out, but instead they all broke off. If I was to do this whole project again, I would have done one of two things. I would have either dumped the whole bucket of sand out and carefully brushed the sand away from my casting, or I would have waited longer for the plaster to get harder. Other than my fingers falling off, I thought this art experience was interesting and made me respect the people who might make plaster artworks for a living. It’s more difficult than it appears.